Sunday, November 7, 2010

Acupuncture, Aromatherapy and Feng Shuing My Way to a Baby!

When we first began ttc, I decided that I wanted my body to be as healthy as possible. I gave up caffeine, bagan doing yoga twice a week, and switched to all natural beauty products to make sure I had no toxins in my body. Being that I have this "all natural" mindset and don't even take ibprophin for a headache, you can understand my hesitation to pump my body full of hormones in order to get pregnant. So I began to search for alternatives to Western Medicine in my quest to get pregnant. The first thing I found was a book called The Infertility Cure. The author, Randine Lewis, claims that through the use of acupuncture, herbs, and diet, all infertility can be cured. I have always been somewhat of a "closet hippy" and skeptical of Western Medicine, so I was thrilled to try all of the things this book offered. First, I diagnosed myself through its user friendly checklist and discovered that I not only had a spleen deficiency, but I also had signs of damp heat. Plus, my bbt chart showed that I had LPD. If you don't understand what all of this means, thats fine, its not really the point. So I went on the perscribed herbs and eliminated carbs, sugar, and dairy from my diet completely. I felt great and healthy and my bbt chart was looking great. My mom got me an aromatherapy book for Christmas and I began creating potions of lavandar, rosemary, and geranium to rub on my belly. I also found that lavandar and peppermint make a great headache reliever. I live in a medium sized, conservative town on the Bible Belt, so I was unsure that I would be able to find an acupuncturist. To my surprise, a friend of a friend knew a woman who had her own Eastern Medicine clinic and practiced acupuncture. I was very nervous, but made an appointment in January 2010 with Tracy. My first appointment, I had to fill out a long questionaire about my diet and what medicines I took, etc. Then I sat down with Tracy, who was a 30 something hippie, and she asked me all about my journey and questions about my body and diet. She told me that she was concerned about my cold hands and feet because that meant my uterus was also cold, and that she wanted to get my blood flowing and warm me up. The acupuncture itself was a bit surreal. I removed only my shirt and rolled up my pant legs. She started by rubbing lavandar oil on all the places where the needles would be placed. The first needle went right in the top of my head! She placed some in my ears, on my forehead, chest, stomach, wrists, and ankles. It didn't hurt, but some of them felt like reflex points and were uncomfortable. She put a warm light on my feet and stomach, and told me to meditate on my orange, sacral chokra and take deep breaths. About thirty minutes later, she came back and placed tuning forks on my shoulders and feet, removed the needles, gave me a nice rub down, and told me to take my time and get up slowly. I felt like I had been realigned and was given a boost of adrenaline. It was a wonderful experience. She works with an herbalist who gave me some more herbs to take and I began to see her once a week for two months. It was very costly, at $65 a week plus herbs. I was, at this time, taking about 17 different vitamins and herbs a day. But I felt that if this worked it would all be worth it! Then March came along and my husband agreed that we needed to get the ball rolling to prepare ourselves that we may need to see an infertility doctor. He went in for a semen analysis, and things did not look good. His sperm count was great, but his morphology and viability were very low. I was crushed. Could it be that all the things I had been doing were just a waste of time? I wasn't even the problem all along? And now what? There isn't much doctors can do about male factor infertility. I decided to take a break from acupuncture, herbs, and trying to have a baby all together. In the mean time, I decided to feng shui my house and did a sage smudging to get rid of any bad infertility energy. In April, my acupuncturist was blessed with a surprise pregnancy with her new boyfriend. I was happy for her, but felt that maybe she had stolen my baby ju ju!!

To create health, you need a new kind of knowledge, based on a deeper concept of life. Deepak Chopra

No comments:

Post a Comment