Monday, November 8, 2010

Meditation

The thing I battle most in all of this is anger. I am angry almost all the time. I am angry at my body, I am angry at God, and I am angry at everyone around me who has no idea what I'm going through. I am a very religious person and I believe that God is good. I believe that we can all have a close personal relationship with Him and that when we pray to Him, He answers us. What I struggle with are the answers. There have been a few times in my life that I have felt like God gave me a clear answer to a problem. When I was growing up, I had a pretty difficult home life. I won't go into details because that is a story for someone else to tell. But I always thought that that was the worst thing that could happen to me, so nothing else could hurt me. Because of what I went through, nothing else bad could ever happen to me. I believed that. Once this journey began, I began to feel that God was drawing me nearer to Him and I felt thankful for the quick growth that I was going through. But that feeling of thankfulness soon turned to anger.
The Dalai Lama says that without basic human goodness, religion cannot work. You have to remember that all beings want happiness and have the right to work on suffering. Compassion is an emotion based on reason and you must meditate your whole mind on this emotion. When the feeling of compassion gets weaker, analyze it again and then when you get it back, meditate on it. This is the way to combat anger.Then you will see the negativeness of hatred and what it does to your happiness. Individual anger is blind energy that brings disaster. It is alright to confront injustices without anger. With compassion comes self-confidence.
Meditating on this wisdom has given me peace on many occasions.
I know that as a Christian, sometimes people feel that looking to other religious beliefs for wisdom is worng. But I feel that wisdom can be foundin many places, and there are truths in many beliefs. I don't have all the answers, obviously, so I will continue to search and listen and pray that God leads me to a path of righteousness.

No comments:

Post a Comment